Ten common grammatical errors we make.

English language which is the official language in Nigeria is not our indigenous language. Hence, the reason why perfection can only be attained through deliberate efforts but the good news is that perfection is very possible, it only requires consistency. Often times, we hear people make some grammatical errors and it may not be intentional but they just couldn't help it and its unintentionality doesn't assuage its consequences. Below we will see some common grammatical mistakes people make and their correct expression. For clarity's sake, explanation are included. ∆ I must to go.× I must go.√ When using modal auxiliary verbs like shall, will, should, must, may, might, would, shall, you don't include to-infinitive in the sentence. For example, you wouldn't say, 'I will to go' but rather, 'I will go'. The only modal auxiliary verb that can adequately accommodate to-infinitive is 'ought'. Hence, the reason you can have, 'I ought to go' which is grammatically correct and not 'I must to go'. ∆ Should in case I don't come on time, call me.× In case, I don't come on time, call me.√ Or Should I not come on time, call me. √ As popular as this expression is, it is very wrong because you don't combine 'should' with 'in case', you might ask why? It's because they are performing almost the same function, hence resulting in tautology. ∆ It's pepperish.× It's peppery √ There's no such word like 'pepperish' in English. ∆ Did you knew?× Did you know? √ Whenever you're using the past tense of 'do', please the verb accompanying it should be in present tense strictly, else, you have what is called double negatives in English language which is grammatically incorrect. For example, 'I did call' and not 'I did called' and you will have 'I did not know' and not 'I did not knew'. ∆ How comes? × How come?√ The verb 'come' must be in its natural verb form,please. ∆ It will fell.× It will fall.√ The first expression is contradicting. 'Will' which expresses future tense can't be linked with 'fell' which is a past tense verb. When using modal auxiliary verbs that express future actions, verbs that follow must be in its passive form (natural form). ∆ Personally for me, I'm not going.× Personally, I'm not going.√ Or For me, I'm not going. √ Using 'personally' and 'for me' will result in tautology as they perform same role. ∆ I would have tell you.× I would have told you.√ The verb must be in its past participle form. ∆ I would have came yesterday.× I would have come yesterday.√ I know someone might say that in the previous example, we said 'tell' must be in its past participle form but then we didn't adhere to that rule here. Actually, we adhere to it, it's just the irregularity of English that is playing out here. The past participle of 'come' is come while the past tense and past participle of 'tell' is 'told'. Hence, making it possible for 'told' to act where its past tense is required as well as present tense. ∆ These plates is scary.× These plates are scary.√ Or This plate is scary.√ The law of Concord comes to play here. It's important to pay attention to these trivial mistakes that occur in our daily interaction and make amends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups and downs

Rejection as a necessity?

Little gestures of love